Myson Apollo40B pilot!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help - new to forum.

I have a Myson Apollo 40B boiler which run rads/HW. The pilot light/burner keeps going out during use. I try to relight the pilot (by holding the green valve button and pressing the piezo) following the instructions but the piezo will not even show a spark and the pilot will not light. The instructions say slide the valve button to the right and then leave for 3 mins and re-try. On doing this, still the same, no spark. We\\\'ve got fed up of this (my finger hurt!) and gave up. However we left it overnight and tried this morning and it sparks and ignites first time (it\\\'s done this twice now). Then, after a period of use, I will return to the boiler to find that it\\\'s gone out again.

I thought, at first it may be the piezo sparker button itself (as it wasn\\\'t sparking) but am now not sure (as twice now it\\\'s fired up first time). I also thought that it might be the electrode - should I replace that? If it was intermittent (ie sometimes sparking and sometimes not then I would be happier replacing the above

The boiler is old - probably 13 years now but was working fine until this weekend.

Any help gratefully received...

Sponsored Links
Pietso spark ignitor system works regardless of where the button is or how long after you last used it.

Check contacts of ht leed, check for earth leakage, clean electrode, ensure suitably positioned say 3mm from metal hood of pilot burner.

Not sure if there is pilot flame adjustment on a green button valve which it sounds like you have. Anyway it would be a corgi job to adjust that and to dismantle the bundi tube and jet to blow out or renew pilot jet rebuild, check position of tc, whether it's the correct part and not just a 1.50 wonder, check oh stat and lincages and leakage to earth in that system.

Thanks for your swift reply. So, just to clarify. I should see a small spark through the pilot light window whenever the piezo button is pressed (even if it doesn't light I should see this, right?). As I'm not seeing this, so it could just be the button isn't working all the time/every time? So I could look at changing this, thanks.

If the piezo button is u/s would this cause the boiler to not "fire-up" when it's ask to do so and this is the reason why it's going out, do you think? or is that the electrode?

Sorry to be thick but am trying to work out what I could do before I get an engineer out...

The button is the spark igniter, the end that sparks is the electrode, the leed between is the ht leed. You probably would want to change the ht leed first and make sure spade connectors are tight, clean electrode, before buying new spark ignitor. Yes it should be a good clean spark all the time whenevr you press button and most importantly no other links in the chain should spark. Try it in the dark and look for sparks elsewhere. (this isn't the pub with no name compradres!)

Sponsored Links
nice one - am going to have a look tonight - cheers.

Thing is though, if the piezo button/ht lead is knackered I can understand why I can't re-start the pilot light but, when I do get it re-lit and the boiler fires up to heat the water etc why is it cutting out? Is that problem related to a u/s piezo or ht lead or is that something else, the electrode play up for example?

Cheers for your help - really appreciate this - Stu

On your model of boiler, your piezo, ht lead and electrode are for the sole purpose of lighting the pilot light, should it go out.

Reasons for it going out, Paul explained in his first reply to you (blocked pilot, faulty o/heat, gas vlv, t/lead etc...)

I would suggest a CORGI man for any of these jobs though.

Regards

David

right, thanks, I understand...I really need to tackle the reason as to why the burner is going out in the first place! I'll hunt the CORGI man. I just wondered if there was a quick fix which I could do.

Thanks for all your help....appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back