Garage. Will building control care how I construct it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm (hopefully) about to get planning permission for a 6m by 5m timber garage. I've just finished renovating the house and they were obviously very interested in all of the structural stuff. Is it the same for the garage? I hadn't thought so as I've seen a lot of real have-a-go garages, but thinking about it again I can't see why they wouldn't want to inspect the structure. I mean, it could collapse and kill someone nearly as easily as the house.

I must admit I hadn't budgeted for structural engineers designs. The garage was just going to be a concrete slab with clad studwork (2*4) with rather simple (but over-engineered) home made trusses (2*6).

For what it's worth, I'm reasonably competent at this sort of design/architecture/construction. I wasn't planning on creating something like this:
http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/s...Fail-Fail-to-Build.-What-is-this-I-don-t-even

:)

Cheers for any advice.

Sponsored Links
If it's within 1m of the site boundary, you will need to make a building rgulations application.

b*****r. It is. Does that mean I'm going to need proper structural engineer design for it?

Not necessarily, but it depends on your BCO.

The principal reason for having to apply for building regs approval is because of the fire risk to and from your property. But most likely the inspector will apply all the relevant regulations, starting with the foundations.

Personally, I wouldn't involve the council - just get on with it. Chances are, no one will find out.

Sponsored Links
Hmm. It's tempting, but they'll be visiting to inspect the extension (which I didn't mention) and it's likely they'll spot the garage :-/

It would appear that tony and fmt are lacking in morality, honesty and decency. To them criminality is of so little consequence that they are quite happy to tell people to break the law.

Utterly shameful.

It would appear that tony and fmt are lacking in morality, honesty and decency. To them criminality is of so little consequence that they are quite happy to tell people to break the law.

Utterly shameful.

"But after all, it is better to ask for the world than to take it"
- Inspector Goole

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back