Engineered floor - is this approach ok

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Basically, I want to put engineered flooring down in several rooms in my bungalow. Currently installed is carpet (hall and living room) and parquet blocks (x2 bedrooms, and dining room, and hall). The hall has carpet over parquet blocks btw, not that it probably matters. All on solid concrete floor, some of which is modern (1994) with a DPC/DPM arrangement and bone dry, some of which are 1930's and no DPM.

I intend to rip up the parquet (its pine, soft as hell, and smells of bitumen which is what its set down with).

Once the parquet is up, and the bitumen coated concrete subfloor is exposed, I plan on laying a DPM sheet, then ply to make up the level, and then floating the engineering board on that. The DPM sheet to lap up behind the skirting past DPC.

Reason for the DPM sheet is the concrete floors are old and aside from the bitumen do not have a damp proof course (1930's construction). There are minor damp areas at the wall / floor junction beneath the DPC, which is higher than the floor level (hence being damp. Beneath the DPM I intend to blackjack (or similar) to lap the bitumen up the wall to the DPC, and then DPM on top, belt and braces.

The plywood will be above the DPM, and the engineered board on top of the plywood, most likely floating.

Does this sound stupid, or reasonably OK?

Engineered is likely to be 15mm oak, in case that matters.

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
You are probably raising the FFL above its original height. This could have knock-on consequences. Otherwise things appear sound.

Why not search on here for relevant info ref raising FFL's etc.

Thanks

If finished floor level is the top of the existing blocks and not the concrete floor (?) then no, the plywood will help level the 15mm engineered board with the concrete floor elsewhere - in the hall, the screed is actually next to the blocks, so the top of the blocks and the screed are the same height! hence removing the blocks, laying DPM, and then plywood to raise the level back up. Will need to work out heights etc.

The dining room on the other hand, is currently about 10mm lower than the height of the ffl in the hallway, which is equal height to the living room and other two GF bedrooms. I need to get it all up then measure heights / thicknesses I think.

Good idea on searching FFL will do that. Thanks

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back