radiator closest to boiler heats up last

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I've got a gas boiler that does the heat and hot water. its an old terrace property that was done up.

Not sure whether I just didnt notice before but something that has concerned me is whether it is normal for the radiator closest to the boiler to heat up last. The boiler is in the kitchen and it seems that the downstairs radiators, i.e hall, then living room and finally kitchen are last to heat up even though they are closest to the boiler. Its a small terrace but is on 3 floors so 2 small bedrooms top floor, 2 middle floor with bathroom, then downstairs. The hot water tank is on middle floor. It seems odd to me that the system would be designed for the living areas to heat up last. Have I imagined a problem and in fact this is just standard plumbing stuff?
Many thanks in advance for any expert opinion.

Sponsored Links
There are no surprises left in different ways people plumb heating systems :rolleyes: , but start by looking at "balancing" in the ref section.

Hot water rises - all heating systems the upstairs rads heat up first if all things are equal. With three floors the effect is even more pronounced. You can balance the rads by turning down the upstairs ones and fully opening the downstairs.
Unfortunatley, usually some bright spark truns the upstairs rads full on again to get more heat ! You may need to put thermostatic valves in -on the top floor at least.

Sponsored Links
My system is designed to work like that. It's a one pipe system where all of the rads sit on the loop of pipework, that leaves the boiler goes upstairs around all of the upstairs rads, then down to the ground floor finishing in the kitchen (last rad to heat) where the pipe then returns to the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back