disabling a socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Asked electrician to remove a socket from the kitchen wall, so we can tile over it. On completion of the job I asked if it was now safe to tile over. He said it was, \\\'everything is insulated\\\'. I asked if that meant the actual wires were still live to which he replied that they are as it\\\'s all \\\'on a ring\\\' and they can\\\'t be cut off completely. Is this right??? It occurs to me that if at some time in the future someone decided to drill there (for whatever reason) they could come to grief.

Sponsored Links
No, its not good.
If for some reason cables cant be removed from ring the very least you have to do is put a blanking plate on existing box.

Is the join in an allowed area? This is vertically or horizontally in line with another accessory switch/socket/fused spur or 150mm from the ceiling or corner of the room?
If it is then it could be Ok assuming it is well insulated ie. with heatshrink/self-amalgamating tape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back