Fiat Scudo Not starting in cold weather

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a Fiat Scudo 1.9 diesel, and it won't start on cold mornings, it sounds like its going to start but then it dies a few seconds later any ideas??

Thanks

V

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that Jonny, do you know who actually makes the engine for the fiat/peugeot/citroen and will the Glowplug actually look damaged when I remove it?

It has now warmed up a bit, but it still won't start (I hasn't started all morning) it turns over then seems to catch and then dies, does this shed any more light on it????

Has previously said try the glow plugs first, there should be four of them, its recomended that you change all of them at the same time, dont buy the cheap ones get a decent make, if you remove your glow plugs you can test them to see which ones work by connecting some wire to the top of the plug then earthing body of plug on battery (Warning) they get very hot, but still change all four if only one as gone as the new ones will draw more power than old ones making them less efective,or something like that...

Sponsored Links
V

Do as DJ has said and if that is not the problem, check valve clearances, inlet =15mm exhaust 30mm. A tight valve clearance will stop the valve from seating and you will loose compression,if valve gaps are o.k. carry out a compression check.
good luck ;)

check your fuel filter isnt crammed full of crud,glow plugs as said and air locks,should be some bleed screws somewhere maybe near the filter,failing that crack the injectors slightly to allow air out

how long are you turning it over for :?: The glowplugs on my `97 Astra packed in suddenly once and I HAD to get it to run to take to the garage...........I had to sit for 30+ seconds with the engine cranking, and puffing smoke until it eventually fired and smoked out the street......... :oops:

Back