upvc door adjustment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how do i adjust the height of a upvc door it has 3 hinges. On the hinge there is an allen pin top and bottom of hinge this may be really easy to do but how do i adjust, i just cant see it, can someone please tell.

Sponsored Links
Can you tell us what is it you want to do ? Is it rubbing on the bottom cill ?

yes it's rubbimg on the botttom and locks are not engaging properly definitely in need of adjustment, just cant see how to raise it slightly higher

The door need " Toeing and Heeling "
I had problem with website,so copy & paste it to here

PVC-U doors are heavy, and although the dead weight is supported on the hinge side when it is opened, there is nothing on the lock side to support the weight, and without the procedure of toeing and heeling the door will drop on the handle side, sooner or later. To stop a door dropping the glass itself has to be braced diagonally corner to corner by the insertion of plastic packers slipped in the gap between the glass and frame, under the beading. On the hinge side the packers go at the bottom corner, whilst on the lock side, the packers go at the top (opposite) corner, get it?
How to Toe and Heel a door, properly:
1. The glazing beading must be removed first, and the double glazed sealed unit must be in its place, and resting on its plastic setting blocks, for correct drainage to work properly before beginning the procedure.
2. The opening door leaf must be raised on the lock side to the desired height, to square it up again. For one person to do this on their own; open the door slightly, place a small piece of wood on the floor to use as a fulcrum and in line with the door.
3. Next, place a plank under the lock side of the door to push down on with your foot to raise up the side of the door that has dropped. A word of warning: Some doors will rise up and come off of their hinges, and these are harder to "jack".
You should notice a gap between the sealed unit and the door, and this is where the packers are inserted to achieve your toeing and heeling correctly to brace across the glass to stop the lock side of the door dropping out of square.
Also see this from previous post

Sponsored Links
thanks for all your advice but how do i simply raise the height of the door by its adjusters on the hinges?
thanks in advance

Yes, the adjuster normally on the hinges depending on the type of hinge you've got,a bit difficult without seeing it.

Also if it still under warranty, normally 10yrs it will be free of charge

I have just unjammed my door, not sure if all the doors are the same but I found that on the edge of the hinge was a plastic cover that I flicked off with a screwdriver, behind that was a allen key adjuster screw, anti clockwise pulled the door up and clock wise dropped the door. Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back