removing a sensor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. Hopefully just a quick one for you. I am having a problem with false alarms on a particular zone. The zone contains 4 door contacts and a sensor (dual tech I think). I have this zone on a chime circuit. The zone keeps chiming through the day when I shouldn't and it also follows that it keeps false alarming when set. The sensor has been changed but it still happens. I think the fault lies with the sensor so I want to temporarily remove the sensor to check it works without then if all is well I can remove perm if not then I can go through the contacts in turn to find the offending item.
So if someone could give me an idiots guide to removing the sensor I would very much appreciate it. as my usual guys wife has just lost a baby and I don't want to mither him but until I can sort this my house is unalarmed and I work away leaving my family home unprotected.

Many thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Now you've found out why you should only have one detector per zone.

What panel do you have? Do you know if your circuit uses end of line resistors?

Open sensor alarm may go off tamper , inside the detector two wires go to alarm take one out and put both in the same terminal , this will bypass the detector , put lid back on and reset system, if it still happens it's not the detector.

Hi again. I finally got around to trying this and it was fine for a couple of weeks but last night it started again.
If the battery was failing could it cause a false alarm and would it most likely be on the circuit with the longest cable run ??

The battery has been in since installation over 10 years ago

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I'll not say anything other than this, change ALL the batteries associated with the alarm system, 10yrs old sheesh!

5yrs or sooner if proved, when testing, that the change is needed sooner.

By the way,

A healthy battery.

Voltage is NO indication that there is any capacity available, in the same way
that fumes smelt in your car fuel tank is NO indication that petrol exists!

I'll not say anything other than this, change ALL the batteries associated with the alarm system, 10yrs old sheesh!

5yrs or sooner if proved, when testing, that the change is needed sooner.

By the way,

A healthy battery.

Voltage is NO indication that there is any capacity available, in the same way
that fumes smelt in your car fuel tank is NO indication that petrol exists!

So would you say that it could stop my false alarms when I change the battery.

When you say all the batteries do you mean there are more than 1 ? I thought there was just the one in the main panel??

Open sensor alarm may go off tamper , inside the detector two wires go to alarm take one out and put both in the same terminal , this will bypass the detector , put lid back on and reset system, if it still happens it's not the detector.
Thank you for providing us the solution. We also have a problem with that lately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back