Scotland Independence Vote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the event of Scotland deciding to vote yes to independence.
Do we immediately divert all queries to Electrics Outside the UK? :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
In the event of Scotland deciding to vote yes to independence. Do we immediately divert all queries to Electrics Outside the UK? :mrgreen:
I thought that we decided some time ago that such would be the case?:)

Mind you, from the point of view of regulation, it might be just as well - even now, very few of us have any clue about 'the system' in Scotland!

... and what would happen about Scottish Power, SSE etc. - particularly if they end up using some currency other than Sterling?!

Kind Regards, John

... and what would happen about Scottish Power, SSE etc. - particularly if they end up using some currency other than Sterling?!
The same as all the other foreign companies that own formerly British companies, I presume.

I need to cross two borders to get to Scotland hard enough working with English rules and regulations never mind Scottish.

We are not even Welcome in Liverpool which is only a few miles away. There is a huge sign on Queensway tunnel welcoming people to Liverpool in many languages but not Welsh.

Next like Dutch to Flemish we will get English to Scottish dictionaries if you ken what I mean.

Sponsored Links
In the event of Scotland deciding to vote yes to independence. Do we immediately divert all queries to Electrics Outside the UK? :mrgreen:
I thought that we decided some time ago that such would be the case?:)

Mind you, from the point of view of regulation, it might be just as well - even now, very few of us have any clue about 'the system' in Scotland!

Kind Regards, John
Bring back MANWEB all is forgiven.

Probably asymmetric tracking of exchange rates as a way to increase their charges, much like their asymmetric tracking of wholesale prices.

And, of course, the cost of electricity itself will rise substantially......

One for the melting pot.

In the event of a Yes vote, what if the oil companies diverted the pipeline from Aberdeen (with two fingers raised high) to Berwick-on-Tweed? After all, Standard Life and RBS have already indicated that at least some (most?) of their operation will be moved out of Scotland if the vote is for independence.

A colleague currently living in Scotland has indicated that in the event of a Yes vote, he will head south too!

In the event of a Yes vote, what if the oil companies diverted the pipeline from Aberdeen (with two fingers raised high) to Berwick-on-Tweed?
I don't think that where the oil came ashore would have any bearing on whatever arrangement was come to as regards the apportioning of 'ownership' of bits of the oil fields.

Kind Regards, John

I'm not entirely sure there is a set system up here. Electrics seems to be a free for all until something goes wrong.

11 years of working with boilers/new+old I've came across 3 minor works certificates for the new spurs (most of which has been entirely illegable and if anything like boiler commissioning sheets is entirely falsified/guestimated figures anyway) and apart from that I've never seen a bit of paper work detailing any electrical works of any kind.

Even my sisters place (not by me, by qualified (hopefully) Spark), whole house rewired (but kept origional CU as it wasnt that old) and not a bit of paper to be seen.

If we get independance where going to power the country of off the remarkable amount of static electricity depressed people generate dragging their feet, and supply it at 110v +/- 85%

Not much different from england in that regard. The technical requirements of part P are delightfully vauge, the notification requirements have been reduced such that the vast majority of domestic jobs are not notifiable and there is very little enforcement of any of it.

Afaict the main difference between electrical wiring in england and scotland is what is and isn't notifiable (iirc in scotland it depends on the size of the property) and probablly the details of the notification process. The accepted technical standard to work to is BS7671 in both cases.

I wonder if there will be isolators installed on the power lines where they cross the border if the YES vote wins.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back