Help with Wall Type & Repair Please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
wall_small.jpg

The pic above (excuse the coloring - digi camera error) is of a wall underneath a window that a double-glazing firm buggered up on installing the window.

Could someone please tell me:

1) What type of wall is this? Is it plasterboard? There appears to be a thin layer of what appears to be plaster or plasterboard (it's quite cardboardy)over a greyish block (this block crumbles if you attack it with a screwdriver). The house was built in the mid eighties, if that helps.

2) What type of filler would be best to repair this?

3) Is it a concern that this "crumbly block" has cracked due to the window installation?

We've just moved into this house and this is the first time I've seen anything other tahn the normal plasterboard on wooden battens.

Many Thanks for all help provided !!!

Sponsored Links
doesnt look like plasterboard though it could be the joint where board meets a different type of finish.
reading your message again says to me that the block your talking about must be a thermal block which would crumble if jabbed with a screwdriver.
so no plasterboard .
firtly get rid of anything thats loose around the crack, then fill with a filler, plaster, or whatevers in the shop.

Thanks for the reply.

I have now removed all the loose "plaster"?? from the surface and all the loose crumbly grey block, and have discovered that the crack is really deep (disappears into the wall out of sight). Is this anything to worry about?

Also, can anyone point me to a website that shows the different types of wall construction used in homes (internal and external walls) ? I've googled the phrase but can't find anything.

Thanks again for all your help.

Does the crack follow the line of the blocks or does it go through the middle of the blocks. If it follows the line of the blocks, repoint and then fill and plaster over.

Is the cracking visible from outside, if so get a structural engineers opinion.

It looks as though you have had new cills installed, did you have quarry tile or similar previously. Removing these can loosen internal block work, but I wouldn't be too worried if it has, just repoint.

Prime the surface with pva or similar before filling and plastering though.

Sponsored Links
Huge thanks for the reply nstreet, really appreciated!!

Until your reply I didn't even know that they WERE blocks. Do I take it that these "blocks" have a gap between them then? The crack lines do not run in a straight line so I would guess it's through the middle of them.

Here's a better pic:

wall2.jpg

New sills WERE installed (before we moved in - we've only been in the house 2 months). They are plastic ones now. The outside of the house is rendered, and there ARE a few thin cracks in this by not in the same place as the inside. They must have been caused by the same installation.

Sorry for being a complete novice, but what do you mean by REPOINT? What do I use for that? Do I use polyfiller?

Many Thanks again!!

try a search on this site for the itemsyou require helpwith. its very helpful.
its hard to comment on the reasons without seeing whats above the crack, ground conditions, recent works etc. etc
it might be worth asking your freinds,relatives etc for any good builders around or even biting the bullet and asking a building surveyor/ engineer for an informal chat perhaps.

Final question (honest!) :

Could I use polyfiller or that expanding foam stuff to fill the large crack in this "thermolite" type block? I am intending on skimming over the top with plaster, but don't know the best way to tackle the holes? At some points I think the crack goes right through the block.

If I should use sand/cement, can anyone tell me what quantities of each I need, and what type?

Thanks again

thediynovice said:

Final question (honest!) :

Could I use polyfiller or that expanding foam stuff to fill the large crack in this "thermolite" type block? I am intending on skimming over the top with plaster, but don't know the best way to tackle the holes? At some points I think the crack goes right through the block.

Thanks again
I`d fill the crack with the contents of a tube of Resin Anchor (resin) in a mastic gun....got from Build Center..that`ll stick the block together better than when it was made.then fill over using Easifill.from same source...used for drylining wall filling....In fact I`ve done all that already.but I won`t tell where cuz someone`ll call it a bodge :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back