Pebbledash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
masona said:
miah said:
For out side plastering do you just simply use sand&cement?

NO !!

Outside rendering mix consists of 5 parts Washed sand to 1 part cement and 1 part hydrolised LIME.

The use of lime allows render to breathe slightly, which reduces the possibility of cracking. It also enables a better float or sponge finish.
The use of lime is also incorporated in the mix for pebble, and wet dash though considerably more in the latter.

On occasion I have used washed sand and compo' ( Flooring sand) roughly 50/50 together with 1 cement and lime, as a scratch coat, to obtain a solid base for the fining coat ... especially where ornamental moulds are to be run afterwards.

It seems the biggest problem is the misconception that more cement makes for stronger render ... where the truth is it makes bigger cracks and causes separation between the wall surface and the render.

omulcol, welcome aboard, but i would like to point out the thread you (and now i) are posting in was first started nearly 12 months ago

Sponsored Links
moderator said:
omulcol, welcome aboard, but i would like to point out the thread you (and now i) are posting in was first started nearly 12 months ago

Hi, and thanks for the welcome Moderator ... yes I had noticed the post was rather outdated ... and thought if I'd read the previous posts concerning external rendering after such a long time since enquiry perhaps others might do the same, hence my decision to reply.
Promise to try n keep up to date in future !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back