Recessed gas meter box - 470 wide

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to have my recessed gas-meter box changed but cannot seem to find one to fit the size of hole in my wall.
- All the boxes online appear to be 365mm wide or 'a brick and a half' wide.
- My box is around 470 wide, or in other words 'two full bricks' wide.
- Height and depth appear to be inline. And my elec box is 365 wide...

Its shot, the hinge and lock are damaged, and its been badly repainted in several colours, it must be decades old, the house is a 70 yo ex-council house.

Nobody seems to want to change it for me, supplier, distributor, etc. So the informal advice appears to be 'just buy one online and have a local gas-safe man fit it' which is fine.
I am also being upgraded to smart meters in a few weeks time, so thought I would have a new box ready in case he will swap it for me while changing the meter.

Thoughts on a postcard?

Daniel

Sponsored Links
You can get over door for them that leaves original in place
Would be happy to bodge it with an over-door or cut off the old front and re-front it. But even the new fronts all seem to be 3/4 of the width I need, or huge ones for industrial boxes.

Any other leads?

Daniel

Sponsored Links
You can get over door for them that leaves original in place
Would be happy to bodge it with an over-door or cut off the old front and re-front it. But even the new fronts all seem to be 3/4 of the width I need, or huge ones for industrial boxes.

Any other leads?

Daniel
Still found nothing to date, best I have is a replacement door of the right width, with no promise that it will fit and not enough information to decide for myself if I think it will fit.

I would quite happily pay double the price (£60-70) for a box the right size to replace the lot.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back