Plans for loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Not strictly DIY because we're not planning to do it ourselves, but would appreciate some help/advice. We're going to get a loft conversion, and have paid for some plans to be done. We then got some local builders round, who said that:

a) the measurements were wrong, and
b) the drawings were only building regs drawing and couldn't be scaled off.

Part of the problem is the head height. Without lowering the ceilings on the first floor we'd have about 198cm i think. The planners said it would be fine, and when i said builders had said it wasn't and it wouldn't pass a building inspection, they said they were planning some sort of footwell where the door was so that it came in under height. But this isn't on the plans.

So i have a few questions:

1) Should the 'footwell' solution described be on the plans. Appreciate you probably need to see the context, but any thoughts welcome.
2) generally, when you pay to have plans done, should you expect to get drawing that say 'for building regs only, do not scale off' or should you expect to get drawings that a builder can scale off?
3) I've already asked for a refund because the service has been terrible and the plans are wrong, but is there anyone i can go to if, as i expect, they don't give me a refund straight away? How can i prove the plans are wrong?

Thanks!

James

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
James

knowing nothing about the LABC process for architect's plans, is there any way you could get some free advice from them as to whether those plans are sound?

If they are not, to be frank, you should not have to pay for them; they are not worth the paper they are printed on.

Firstly there is no minimum headroom for a ceiling anywhere in the Building Regulations for any building anywhere except over a new stair where it must be 2m though for a loft conversion this can be reduced to 1.9m in the centre and 1.8m at the lowest side when coming up under an existing roof if space is tight assuming your BCO is not a Plonka. Even the 2m has some leeway.

You are right the context would help, why not post the drawings so we can see, you can always blot out the address/titleblock/names etc.

1) Should the 'footwell' solution described be on the plans. Appreciate you probably need to see the context, but any thoughts welcome.
I don’t really understand this ‘footwell solution’! I sort of see what you’re saying and if it’s what I think it is it sounds like a bodge rather than a practical solution. This is to get the stair to work presumably? Please clarify.
2) generally, when you pay to have plans done, should you expect to get drawing that say 'for building regs only, do not scale off' or should you expect to get drawings that a builder can scale off?
The drawing should be to a scale so for instance a builder should be able to scale the plan to know how much floor to order for instance. However every single drawing from an architect or anyone else carries a disclaimer stating ‘do not scale of this drawing’. This is because it’s down to the builder to measure exactly how long a steel beam to order or the exact floor to floor height or space available when he orders the stair. Such very accurate measurements cannot be forseen during the drawing stage and can only be measure accurately on site.
3) I've already asked for a refund because the service has been terrible and the plans are wrong, but is there anyone i can go to if, as i expect, they don't give me a refund straight away? How can i prove the plans are wrong?
You can approach another professional either an Architectural Technical or Architect or maybe Chartered surveyor, and get their opinion or anyone who is capable or checking someone else’s drawing package. You can then present that as evidence to your original. Though they may argue this or that, who knows!

Or you can post it all on here and we can rip it to shreds though that wouldn’t hold much credence if it every came down to a Small Claims Court action (none).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back