pull cord broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just yanked the pull cord out from it's switch in the ceiling.

Can anyone tell me if I can use the same cord again or if the whole switch needs replacing, and does anyone have an idea of how easy this is?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
depends where its broke. if you can tie it on again, then do that. if its broken inside, its easier to replace the switch

Wow, that was quick! The cord has pulled right out from inside the switch, so I definitely cannot tie it on again.

Thanks Andy.

I am a real novice and I did the same thing a while ago. I couldn't find a light switch that was the same size as mine which was annoying as it would have left a wierd ring around it if I changed it.

I'd suggest if you have a similar problem giving opening up the switch and tryin to fix it a go as I found it surprisingly easy. Saved £2 too. Whoop!

Sponsored Links
1) Buy a replacement switch anyway as you can always return it (don't remove from packaging, keep receipt), but it will be very handy to have if your old switch disintegrates into a spray of springs and funny shaped bits of metal as some do when opened up.

2) Remember to turn off the power first.

"if your old switch disintegrates into a spray of springs and funny shaped bits of metal as some do when opened up."

Yes that's exactly what just happened to me today when opening up a ceiling pull switch on which the cord had broken.

This thread suggests that the only option is to replace the whole switch ... but there don't seem to be any complicated parts involved... just a couple of springs and a metal plate. Problem is I can't figure out how they should be put back together again !! although it really looks like it must be simple... :oops:

Can anyone point me to a diagram showing how to reassenble the spring mechanism so I don't have to trundle down B&Q and buy a whole new switch?

Thanks!!

Cemy Junction Expat said:
Can anyone point me to a diagram showing how to reassenble the spring mechanism so I don't have to trundle down B&Q and buy a whole new switch?
There are (approximately) 1.3 thousand zillion makes and models of pull switch, each of which changes in internal design every month.

A new switch is less time and trouble, although trying to fix one is more fun than poking a hot soldering iron into your eyes, or ratchet crimping your little finger. Marginally.

:LOL: :LOL:

OK !! thanks for the advice ... I guess I'm just a little intrigued & frustrated by the fact that, although I can see in principle how the whole thing is supposed to work, I can't quite work out how it all fits together.

Oh well - I'll live with it. Cheers.

This thread suggests that the only option is to replace the whole switch ... but there don't seem to be any complicated parts involved... just a couple of springs and a metal plate. Problem is I can't figure out how they should be put back together again !! although it really looks like it must be simple... :oops:
last one we had break we figured out that a grip had broken off inside a plastic tube and theres no way you can get replacement parts for them even if you have a diagram.

btw do ratchet crimpers generally come with a release in case something other than a crimp connector gets stuck in them?

yes, most good ones do.

next question? :LOL:

why on earth would you stick anything other than a crimp in it :eek:

im sure somone someware....

there don't seem to be any complicated parts involved... just a couple of springs and a metal plate. Problem is I can't figure out how they should be put back together again !! although it really looks like it must be simple!!
Not simple enough though, eh? ;)

supersparky said:
why on earth would you stick anything other than a crimp in it :eek:
i was thinking along the lines of getting your finger stuck in it.........

you say most good ones do. does that imply that there are ones that don't?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back