Bricky mortar mix.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to start a garage using a 'bricky', and their website suggests a mortar mix including lime. Not many mortar mixes seem to include lime (as far as I can see). Is it really necessary, and what does it achieve? They don't explain why on the website.

"Mortar Mix - 6 part building sand, 1 part cement & 1 part hydrated lime, add water with plasticiser or PVA adhesive mixed 5:1 in the water. (Never use washing up liquid)"

From - http://www.bricky.com/how-it-works.html#tips

Cheers for any replies

Sponsored Links
I think its a bit redundant. To my understanding (only built two walls) lyme adds pliability and helps deter moisture. But plasticiser does that, doesn't it?

Sponsored Links
Excellent. Cheers. I'll not bother with the lime them. It seems to be that it's either a plasticiser or for brickwork that's exposed to harsh weather, but I've got a separate plasticiser and the blockwork will be covered in cladding anyway.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back