where does earth wire connect to on downlights??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am replacing downlights previously installed which no longer work and having changed bulbs and checked wiring have discovered i need new transformer. new kit purchased, the old transformer appears to be hard wired from switch without junction box in attic and the earth cable is just sitting looking sorry for itself not connected.
i understand i dont need to earth new transformer but is this safe to leave earth where it is, snip wires from transformer and connect new one with junction box??
any help gratefully appreciated.... :(

Sponsored Links
Sleeve the earth wire and connect it to one of the terminals in the JB. The transformer doesn't need earthing, but the earth core in the cable should be part of the earthing system for 2 reasons:

1) Better safety in the event of damage to the cable

2) Somebody might at some time fit something that does need an earth.

That earth wire must be sleeved with green and yellow sleeving and terminated in a terminal block.
Yes reterminate to TX with original cable if it is long enough, if not add a JB.

Sponsored Links
thanks for reply,s guys, can i assume then that wiring to transformer is correct and go ahead and cut cable, strip live and neutral and connect to junction box without having to try and find out where switched live is and to confuse you more, instructions mention a 3amp fuse being fitted.... to what?? :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back