Changing a bathroom extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to change my current bathroom extractor fan, to a new one with a better extraction rate and humidity sensor.

I have settled for this one

http://www.extractorfanworld.co.uk/...hroom-fan-with-humidistat-sil100ht-3193-p.asp

The current fan operates uses the lighting pull switch (comes on with lights, stays on with built in timer when lights go off) I have done a straight swap before with no problems, but this new one says it needs a double pole and has no earth connection (Class 2??) Does this mean I can't fit with current wiring set up?

thanks in advance for any answers

Sponsored Links
Connect it to the permanent live & neutral, terminate the switched live & earth in a bit of choc-block inside the fan housing.

Sponsored Links
let us know if your impressed with it (air flow etc)

Will do Andy

But with just the three wires to the current fan (red,blue,earth)

1.Can I fit the new one using the exsisting wiring?

2.Without fitting double pole switch?

3.What to do with earth connection?

I think a pic of the wiring to your current fan would help.

You should have a yellow wire there.

but the only wiring to the current fan is red, blue and earth??
In that case this:
The current fan operates uses the lighting pull switch (comes on with lights, stays on with built in timer when lights go off)
is extremely worrying.

For a fan to work like that it must have permanent live, switched live and neutral. So if the cable only has 2 cores plus earth some idiot must have used the earth core for one of the lives or the neutral.

Which is very very bad, possibly dangerous, possibly lethally so if the wiring is ever worked on by someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

I cannot urge you too strongly to get an electrician to look at it asap.

is extremely worrying.

For a fan to work like that it must have permanent live, switched live and neutral. So if the cable only has 2 cores plus earth some idiot must have used the earth core for one of the lives or the neutral.

I'm not as quick to judge as you Ban, as you can't get 2 core and earth cable with colours Red and Blue, so I think 3 core and earth is present.

I'm hoping the OP has mistaken the yellow for an earth? But that is why I requested a picture.

Thanks for the pics.

As i suspected, that yellow is not an earth but a live (switched live hopefully, i.e when your bathroom light is on its live)

Connect it to the permanent live & neutral, terminate the switched live & earth in a bit of choc-block inside the fan housing.

but the only wiring to the current fan is red, blue and earth??

Usually

Red is Live
Yellow switched live
Blue neutral

But red and yellow can get mixed up.

The earth has already been trimmed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back