RSJ into chimney ? is it right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right.. another issue!

I have a ridge beam from one lenght of the house to the other..
It seems the builder today has made a hole on my side of the chimney (on the 3rd party side)

I dont know if this is right, I assume he will mount a padstone in the chimey and rest the rsj on it and then seal it / make it good.

I am sure metal expands with heat, thus would it not crack overtime leaving me and my family exposed to carbon monoxide ?

Should I now be installing chimney liners ? I cant see any other way he would be mounting the RSJ.

:confused:

Sponsored Links
If its any use, I do have usable gas fires in both downstairs rooms.

Are you saying that you have a newly fixed steel ridge beam that runs from a party/gable wall to a chimney breast?
And that a pocket has been cut into the c/breast brickwork? Does the pocket expose the flue(s)?

Or, has a steel lintel been inserted to support the remaining c/breast and stack? The lintel crossing from the front elevation to the rear elevation?

Or, something else?

Some pics would help.

Sponsored Links
Pics are rubbish -

is the pocket on the left inline with the tip of the arch, or does all the brickwork removal constitute a pocket?

What are you intending to do:
insert a purlin?
convert the loft?
remove the chimney breast below?

Why the mention of a "ridge beam"?

I am having a loft conversion which is includes having rear dormers.

The existing purlin is a small 1x9" the structual eng has desgined me an rsj metal purlin which will span from the 3rd party wall across the house to the external wall of my property.

This new metal purlin is pretty big 305x146x54 -

It seems the brick arch is not in the center of the house but is to one side.

I maybe able to get you better pictures on saturday Pictures are bad due to me taking them during the night with no lights

I can see that the arched flues are not central - why should it be significant? i mentioned the arch merely to reference the location of the pocket.

I still dont know where the pocket is?

What is meant by "third party " - a party wall? Is the c/breast wall a gable wall or a party wall?

How do you propose to get the new 305mm x 146mm steel into the loft?

I'm uneasy giving advice to you. More pics, external & internal, and general information about your project is needed - by me, anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back