Potterton Puma Pilot Light Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Read a lot about Potterton Pumas on here, but don't know much about plumbing so hope you can help.

I have a Potterton Puma and the pilot light goes out regularly when I use the washing machine/shower. There's obvious moisture in the pressure gauge, but no pressure problem.

It's about 8-9 years old, has had 2 PCB replacements in the last 6 years.

The engineer I called has quoted £500 to replace 3-4 parts (gauge, hot water regulator(?) etc), plus £500 to descale, but also said it wasn't worth keeping and I should buy a 14L Vaillant for £1800 including installation.

Can any of the experts on here tell me if this is a good deal? Or what I should do? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The Puma is an unreliable boiler and suffers from PCB and diverter valve failure every three and five years respectively.

We repair a lot of Pumas and the typical cost is always less than £200 inc.

I cannot see how any normal repair should come to £500 and suggest he is more interested in fitting a new boiler at a rather elevated price for you. It could also be that he does not really know how to repair it.

Whilst a new condensing boiler would be nice its always cheaper to repair a boiler and the Pumas do work quite well.

Tony Glazier

londonmarc said:
I have a Potterton Puma and the pilot light goes out regularly when I use the washing machine/shower. There's obvious moisture in the pressure gauge, but no pressure problem.

Assuming this is the permanent pilot model (you have to manually relight the pilot every time it fails) then it appears the pilot is being extinguished by the overheat 'stat, thus it could be caused by a faulty overheat 'stat or by an overheat condition.

Try turning the hot water temperature down, does this reduce the frequency of failure? This may indicate the diverter valve is sticking / faulty.

Check the resistance of the DHW temp sensor against manufacturer's spec. Is it normal? If not change it.

As an aside, I believe the gauge front will pull off, use a hair dryer to dry out the moisture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back