Securing Cables Under Floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any IEE requirement to secure runs of cable beneath the groundfloor floorboards or can they simply run along the foundations / earth beneath the property?

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
all cables are supposed to be securly supported.

how ever most dont clip if its under floor boards, but i would try and not leave them sitting on the ground thogh

Sponsored Links
I've been pondering on this one also as I'm planning a major sort-out of a whole load of problems (aka disasters various just waiting to happen.) Below the suspended ground floor, ye olde cables are run in virtually every direction possible, generally just laying on the earth but also over/under/through what is highly likely to be several tons of assorted builders rubble/rubbish left behind by the kind builders (and others) many, many years ago ! Probably OK(ish) in reality and all that but far from desirable and almost certainly not all that correct so far as the regs are concerned.

I came to the conclusion that clipping to joists or masonry isn't exactly going to be that sensible either, particularly given the number of cables approaching the distribution board, the need to keep cables >50mm from the top as well as spacing them reasonably. Not to mention the need to lift what almost seems to be the entire floor in order to gain access ! Unfortunately, there is virtually no choice but to run all cables to the CU under the GF as there is no direct/sensible route to the first floor and above that wont involve a significant amount of earthed conduit otherwise ... total PITA and all that :rolleyes:

With the exception of the GF ring (where there should be no prob with clipping to joists etc.), the proposed routing will effectively mean the majority of cables leaving the CU and running for around 5m in a straight line (primarily to the kitchen area) with various cables branching off towards the end to go up to the FF and above in permitted locations. I'm therefore considering some form of cable tray suspended between/below joists to carry this main run in order to provide support, strain relief and ready access as well as avoiding all the rubble and mess under there.

Anyone have any thoughts on this approach ? I would imagine that a perforated metal tray (presumably earthed) is no doubt the best solution but would a suitably attached timber frame/board or similar be considered acceptable in this situation ?

--
Mike

breezer said:
you mean cable tray

bit much for your average domestic house

Yeah, I know it does seem well OTT doesn't it but probably has to be the best option in this situation :) That one's only 2" and I know they do wider although the cables could obviously be bunched (with any appropriate derating etc) but the run of 13(ish) cables spaced 1D apart requires around a 12" width which is why I thinking more along the lines suspending a board below the joists. That way all cables run primarily between/below one pair of joists for the majority of the run before disappearing off individually to their destinations. Just seemed a more sensible solution and makes access/inspection nice and simple as well as providing all necessary support/strain relief etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back