Pump Flow Direction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A new pump has been fitted to my Potterton Flamingo 50 Boiler. The Pump is located below the boiler with the flow directed away
from the boiler. When the heating is on the boiler is firing but the Rads in all rooms including the HW only get lukewarm. I was wondering if the pump flow is the correct way around? The boiler has one pipe located at the bottom and one at the top. The upstairs rads are first on the system. I have water in all rads and the pump is primed, there is also water in the header tank :

Sponsored Links
If the pump is on the flow(top pipe) it should pump away & if on the return (bottom pipe) it should pump back into boiler.

Hi Kevplumb

Thanks for the prompt reply,

Are there any issues i.e damage to the boiler if i turn the pump around? Should the pump be pushing the water through the boiler or through the rads first?
I tried to look for information for the Potterton Flamingo to see which pipe was the inlet and which one the outlet on the boiler no luck :(

Sponsored Links
Blue_macca said:
Are there any issues i.e damage to the boiler if i turn the pump around? Should the pump be pushing the water through the boiler or through the rads first?
Just to answer this particular point (because kevplumb has dealt with the main issue), there's no rule about flow needing to be towards or away from the boiler.

If you think about it, in a closed circuit, the pump is always pushing towards the boiler, no matter how far away from the boiler it might be. The more important factors are the position of the cold feed and the open vent (where the system has them) relative to the pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back