Florescent Lamps G23 or PL11 are they the same.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The fitting says 11W PL11 it's a two pin desk lamp with a inductive lump in the base which I assume is a ballast. Advert for lamp and the tube had failed.

I got a new tube 11W with the G23 base and all I get is one flash on turning on.

Tried the tube in a working lamp same type and the same just failed. Base clearly the same length same.

So question is have I got a faulty new tube of is a PL11 not he same as a G23? I thought PL 11 was the tube and G23 the base just like MR16 can have a GU5.3 or GU10 I thought this was the same?

So have I got it wrong or is simply new lamp faulty.

Sponsored Links
The 2 pin pl lamp like 2ds have a starter in the base
G23 is just the 2 pin lampholder and covers 5watt up to 11watt

All them lamps are PL not sure why
Your lamp is actually a PL-S as it has a single loop

Amongst others
PL-L has 1 long loop
PL-D has 2 loops
PL-T has 3 loops

If its chinese it may run on some strange electronic ballast rather than a pl choke, uk H/f pl ballasts tend to run 4 pin lamps on 2G7 lampholders, rather than 2 pin

Maybe the lamp is faulty which has destroyed the new tube. For instance shorted turns in the ballast would cause excessive current to flow destroying the tube with a big flash.

Sponsored Links
Returned tube new one works A1 so clearly faulty tube. These 11W tubes are rather good when they work. 11W and 900 lm where typical CFL at 11W is 900 lm at 4000K against 2700K for CFL they are a bit white but that's what you want for a reading lamp.

Returned tube new one works A1 so clearly faulty tube. These 11W tubes are rather good when they work. 11W and 900 lm where typical CFL at 11W is 900 lm at 4000K against 2700K for CFL they are a bit white but that's what you want for a reading lamp.

You can get Tropical CFL and warm white PL lamps.

It was the lumen output which surprised me. I have considered the LED to be far better than the folded florescent tube and I have replace many of my florescent lights with LED.

Many of my reading lamps are now using GU10 LED lamps these have a very big advantage over tungsten in that to adjust them will never result in a burnt hand. But the same applies to folded florescent tubes or cold cathode but my 11W cold cathode GU10 was to put it mildly a failure.

Seeing the 900 lm with the PL11 I went to see what the output from a GU10 cold cathode was. They say 5W = 20W but non of the adverts I found gave the lumen output.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back