Pressure Loss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Worcester Combi Boiler (can't remember exact model) and the pressure keeps falling. I have had a plumber out 3 times now and he has replaced the pump and PRV, everytime he has managed to 'fix' the problem but it gives up again after a couple of hours. He know thinks its either something to do with the compressor or a leak which means I'm going to have to rip up all my newly fitted flooring to find it - is this right?? Please help?!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The pressure when hot is 1.2 The prv has been replaced (yesterday) as I was loosing water (external outlet pipe) but not any more.

If a 'sealed system' is losing pressure, there are only two possibilities:
- leak outside the boiler
- leak inside the boiler

If the boiler is leaking internally, this could be:
- from the pressure relief valve, so water will be running out of the discharge pipe and down the wall outside. Engineer call needed to fix PRV AND to find out what made it run in the first place;

- leak between the two halves of the secondary heat exchanger (combi boilers only), so that water from the CH system and water heading for the hot water tap can mix (usually results in pressure RISING but leads to first symptom, above);

- leak from internal plumbing and / or components, leading to water dripping out of the bottom of the boiler. engineer job, usually.

A leak outside the boiler is often obvious! Damp carpet under a radiator valve or visible water somewhere else below pipes, rads, hot water cylinder, etc. Find and fix. If it's under a laminate floor - tough luck!

Either way, pressure on a sealed system WILL drop as the water leaks out (the difference between 1 and 0 Bar on the pressure gauge is usually only between 1 and 5 litres of water lost).

DO NOT under any circumstances leave the valve on the filling loop open to maintain pressure. The PRV WILL open, it's dangerous AND you will quickly wreck the whole system due to corrosion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back