Tap into neighbours sewer to plumb washing m/c in my garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Scenario...

My neighbours foul water from their kitchen sink located at the back of their house goes into the sewer manhole on my driveway....thus it runs under my garage.
I am looking to move my washing m/c into my garage and dig down and "tap in to" their pipe

Q. Is this work notifiable or do I need get any approval to do this from the council/water board etc ?

Thanks in advance

Sean H

Sponsored Links
It's only "their pipe" if they're the last house on the pipe run, and even then the part of it that is under your property belongs to the water company. Technically you should be asking the water company for permission to make another connection to their system, or you should be routing the pipes into the pipework that serves your house upstream of the place where those pipes connect to this one (maybe at the manhole in your driveway)
In practice, the only way the water company would find out you'd made a connection is if you messed it up, blocked it and the neighbour complained that his drains were overflowing turds.

Drainage works are always notifiable

Cjard - apologies for the delay - laptop issues and needed to rebuild my machine
Just to confirm, Its not the end of the line and the pipe i am hoping to use i am 99% sure only goes the back of their house and their kitchen sink and washing m/c uses it.
Unless that is that it goes completely under their house to their soil stack but i am doubting that as its on the other side of their house completely
Think i need them the flush their loo for me to confirm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back