How level does a base have to be under the DPM?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm laying sand in my garage base before laying a DPM. I've not got enough sand to fill it until it's completely level, and I can't get any more until after I've given the compactor back. I can level it out around the old base, but that'll leave a step of about 50mm.

1. Am I going to be able get the DPM to lay flat-ish onto this step?
2. How flat to the base does it need to be?
3. If I do have to get the base completely level, if I get more sand and don't compact it, is that doing to be a disaster?

Cheers for any replies. :)

Sponsored Links
Whilst its only a garage you may get some movement in the sand causing the dpm to tear at the slab edge. Why can't you get some more sand. That would seem logical.

Whilst its only a garage you may get some movement in the sand causing the dpm to tear at the slab edge. Why can't you get some more sand. That would seem logical.

Compactor has to go back on Monday morning. No-one seems to be able to deliver me any sand before then :(

Sponsored Links
Would need too many trips to get small bags from a shed, but my neighbour has a whole bag of soft sand he's not using! Will that do? Was using sharp to start with.

I thought sand was used to "blind" hardcore, i.e. to take the sharpness off. I don't think that such a thick layer of sand will be stable. I can see the base sliding " downhill" over the general slope of the hardcore, or trying to, cracking and pushing the wall out.
Frank

Yeah, this is my first DIY attempt, so in hind-sight I should have bought more hardcore and used less sand. But it’s done now, and if it cracks it’s not going to be the end of my world :) There’s no slope underneath the slab, just a little step. Even my neighbours bag of sand wasn’t quite enough to get it perfectly level.

Cheers for the replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back