Underfloor heating matt ontop of chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just looking to see if what i am looking at doing will be okay.

I am putting in a new bathroom upstairs. The flooring is 22mm chipboard,

I am looking at getting a 100w ufh matt @ 3m2

I was going to tile straight ontop of the ufh matt with BAL rapidset flexible.

I have 33x33cm ceramic floor tiles 7.8mm thick.

Will i be okay not using SLC ontop of the heating matt?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Ditch the chipboard or overboard it with a cement backer board or your going to get cracked tiles or lifting tiles at some point.

SLC over UFH is simply to protect the wires, if you are careful with your trowel when adding the adhesive it'll be fine

The chipboard is already down, it's a new house and I'm just converting the upstairs now. Will it be okay if I use flexible adhesive?

Not really. the adhesive will stick and flex but your tiles wont flex and they are very likely to crack.

Chipboard falls apart if it gets wet and if it swells your tiles will lift. At this stage your best to either overboard it with 6mm cement backer board (stops the first problem and helps prevent the second) or replace it with 25mm WBP ply. The backer board method is the most common

Sponsored Links
The only reason i was going down this route was because i had tiles left from building the house. Think i will just cut my losses and get laminate flooring! Seems alot simpler and won't need a ufh matt. Thank you for your help

Sorry didnt mean to put you off! laminate wont last long in a bathroom so it might well be worth the effort

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back