HAIR DYE STAIN ON VARNISHED FLOORBOARDS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I dyed my hair last week using a red based hair dye, and only just now I noticed a large streak has fallen onto my varnished floorboards. I tried using WD40, prepsol, brake cleaner-- I just have no idea how to remove it! It wont even rub off at all. I dont know how it penetrated through the varnish, but it seems to have soaked through into the wood. Any ideas on how to remove the stain would be much appreciated! Please help!

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

I had exactly the same problem which got worse when I dyed my hair again a few days ago. I put thick pieces of cotton wool soaked with bleach on every spot and after a few hours most of the stains disappeared like a dream.
I left the cotton wool on the really bad ones for the whole night and by the morning these were gone too! (some tiny hardly noticeable marks were left in two places). I did the same to my beech shelf and everything went away like a dream. The wood was not damaged at all by all this harsh treatment!

i got hair dye on my hard wood floors and put a cotton ball soaked in bleach directly on the stain also... the stain lifted in about 1/2 hr and did not ruin my floors :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back