Rainwater getting into garage via side wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm hoping this is just a simple problem (are they ever!). It's been pretty wet and windy today and I noticed the following at the inside left wall when I went into my garage -

I'm hoping the rain is just getting blown in under the metal (see pic 2) at the side of the garage. Is it possible for the wet to penetrate through the brick? (not sure if there is monoblock there too).

Also I painted the bottom of the wall on left hand side (I'm assuming it's plasterboard) as it was a bit discoloured - hoping it's not damp.

Would siliconing around the bottom of the metal part outside be a solution and would silicone adhere to metail and cement?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A context for the two posted pics is needed - pics of the interior and exterior of the garage.

Sorry, dark outside at the moment so this is the only photo on file i could find - not sure if it's helpful or not.

The problem part is on the right hand side and in front of the car.

Hi Emma :p
It just looks like rain is bleaching under your garage door.....there's always a bit of an issue with up and over types!
Silicone would certainly help, but everything really needs to be dry and dust free for a good result.
Any plasterboard stands little chance if it gets wet, unfortunately but it's easy enough to replace......consider using Aquapanel from Wickes if you like.....it's a cement board which isn't affected by water - although it does absorb.
Water can certainly get through single course brick walls, and a solution called Johnstones Water Seal can work well there.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks john, much appreciated as always. When you say single course brick walls does that mean they're only one brick deep?

Yep, that's right......house walls will be double skin with a cavity, but your garage may just be single skin, with brick piers here and there just to strengthen things up.
There will be a damp course installed, naturally - either double or single skin.
John :)

Check the felt/roof condition it those areas and all along top of garage door

Thanks for all your suggestions. I've just finished siliconing the gap at the bottom of the metal part so I'm hoping this will stop the problem. Fingers crossed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back