How can I reduce size of this bracket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a wall bracket which holds a mirror.

I would like to reduce the size of the tube by about half.

What type of metal is this, can I do it with a normal saw?

The complicated bit is the end part.

I would need to extract this small disc which the mirror screws into somehow and refit after sawing the bracket.

I think it is welded or soldered in some way. My initial thoughts are to use a soldering iron to melt the three 'splodges' of metal that are holding the disc firmly in place then extract the disc.

Once the bracket has been sawed to the correct length, I then place the disc back in and solder it back on, permanently attaching it to the inside of the metal tube again.

Will this work?

This disc needs to take weight of the whole mirror(which it currently does). Will the solder be strong enough to hold this?

Sponsored Links
It is very un-likely to be soldered, most likely welded so a soldering iron will not work.

Also solder is not mechanically strong, it deforms when mechanically stressed

Can you not do it from the other end(the end fixed to the wall)

Can you not do it from the other end(the end fixed to the wall)

Tried taking the 'wall end' off the wall, it's the same welded disc interface to hold the metal tube.

Is finding a new mirror bracket the only answer?

Sponsored Links
Cut bracket and then Araldite a wooden dowel into tube. Drill centre of dowel and re-fix mirror.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back