microswitch bent arm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My Hotpoint Aquarius leaks a cup of water every time it fills.
With the side off I can see that it fills in three cycles, and on the third cycle the water comes out of what seems to be an escape hole. The microswitch that looks to be worked from a float has a ten/twenty degree bend in the arm where it bears on the microswitch. Looks to me as though it would, with a straight arm, switch off earlier and stop the overflowing. Should that arm be straight???

Also under the dishwasher there is a see-through vessel like a large tupperware - the salt refill indicator in the floor of the diswasher extends in to one half of it. The other half looks to filled with a couple of litres of orange jelly! (Like orange Swarfega). Is this normal???!!

Sponsored Links
the microswitch arm should be as described, the jelly? is the water softener ion exchange resin that softens the water and is then recharged by flushing brine solution thru it, hence salt in your dishwasher. if you remove filters and look down on sump you should find a hole in the side of sump at 6-7 o clock get some stiff wire and gently rod thru to container on side ( the 1 with microswitch) on it they tend to get well and truly blocked. rgds gary

Hi Garykim

You seem to know your Hotpoints!

I didn't find any rubbish in the sump pipe - but did find that the pipe was kinked (not shut but definitely a restriction) where it comes out of the bottom of the water filling bits down from the float/microswitch area and bends around the 'resin tub'.

I've eased the kink and now the machine fills without overflowing. Is it likely that I have actually sorted it out as simply as that?

The pipe does seem as though it will revert to its kinked state a.s.a.p. - so maybe a new pipe would be worthwhile. Would you expect that to be a manufacturer's moulded part or just a gash length of pipe?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
that should cure problem, i would get correct part i think the hose is push fit into metering tank, by the way your hotpoint is actually a bosch made for hotpoint, thats why although they are not nice to work on they are reliable unfortunately hotpoint d/w are now indesit, say no more rgds gary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back