Ocean Alpha 240P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

The Alpha 240P combi boiler we have is causing some grief at the moment.

If we want hot water we have to put the central heating on.
The results are quiet quick downstairs, but when I go to run a bath I have to set the tap so it's just a small trickle. Any more and the water is freezing, even though the boiler is fired up.
I've been trying to do some research and think it might be either the suppressor or divertor valve.....am i warm??

any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Tonys the best to comment on this boiler . i think it has a diapham 4 the hot water so see if its tripping the micro switch. remove front cover 3" round brass fitting with lots of screws with a small black switch on a bracket. is the plunger coming out enough to trip that switch.

hi bab

Thanks for quick reply.

I took the front cover off, turned on the hot tap and the plunger never moved.

If u do the same again & carefully trip the micro switch & the boiler fire & heats hot water ok u know the only fault is the hotwater diaphram washer thats behind that brass housing . buy 1(£10 i think) It depends where u go. Turn off electric to boiler. turn off water main & open hot & cold taps at lowest level. remove micro switch & bracket. undo all small screws around housing. remove front plate.then old washer fit new washer in reverse.

Sponsored Links
trip the micro switch & the boiler fire & heats hot water ok u know the only fault is the hotwater diaphram

Er, but without the diverter diverting, you won't get HW, the rads will just heat up!
As the shaft isn't moving at all, yes it 's probably just the diaphragm.

Great. I'll have a look at that tomorrow.

Thanks to you both.

Okay, I triggered the microswitch by sticking a pencil between the switch and the shaft.
I turned on the hot tap and the boiler fired up, but the water was luke warm.

I let it run for a bit but there was no change in the temperature, so I turn the tap off and left it for a minute or so (pencil still in place) and tried again.
It was hot water that came out, but it lasted 10 seconds if that and returned to luke warm.

Is this the divertor that ChrisR is speaking about that's also at fault do you think?

You is confuddled.

The diaphragm is a disc of rubber which moves, in response to the change in water pressure when you open a tap. It lives in the wide part of the Diverter Valve.
It pushes onto a metal pad which moves, and slides a shaft along the middle of the DV. The shaft has discs of metal on it, which open and close access to ports on the side of the DV, to divert boiler water from heating the rads to heating the tap water (in the secondary heat exchanger).
The end of the shaft also pushes onto microswitches which turn the boiler on, when the shaft is right at the furthest end of its travel.

So if you push the switches manually you do NOT get water because the DV has not moved - it has not diverted anything. This is what I was pointing out in response to Bab's post which appeared to say you would get hot water.

If the rubber diaphragm get a hole in it the pressure leaks through, so nothing moves. It seems that that's what's happened on your case, so start with just the diaphragm, as I said before.

I'm totally with you now.

Thanks for the reply.

You guys are great.

I've got loads of hot water upstairs now.

It was the diaphragm. When I opened up the diverter valve, there was a lot of loose hard rubber about. After removing the cream plastic 'thingy' the old diaphragm just crumbled. It was stuck to the cream thing and the back of the DV.
Gave it all a good clean and inserted new diaphragm.

All is well now, and we are really, really grateful.

Thanks very much
Malcolm

hi there, iv been reading your comments on the alpha240p
im havin problems with mine, when i run the hot tap or the heating
the burner fires up for approx 20 secs then goes off again,
do you have any idea what it mite be, i would appresiate any
advice. :D

Please note forum rule 20, and take ChisR's advice

If you need to look beyond the PUMP , better to start a new thread. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back