Leveling compound, wooden floor, gripper rods

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an old timber floor, that could do with a bit of leveling out prior to a carpet being fitted (gap visible under skirting in one corner). My concern is if I put leveling compound on it, are the nails in the gripper rod likely to crack it and cause it to break up, or does it have enough flexability in it that the nail will just go through neatly and secure into the board below.

Its an old floor approx 120 years old... its structurally sound, however I guess they did things by eye then rather than use the level :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Yeah.. many old floors (and walls are not straight).

as for leveling compound.. I have never heard of it being used this way. So i really don't know how to comment.

Usually people would either add plywood boards down. that way you can still nail into it with carpt grippers.

I means however, that you floor will be a few mm higher than usual. so it can stoop doors from opening properly.

Carpet gripper nails are about half an inch (i think) so leveling it by 2-3mm would be ok.. but personally i don't recomend using self leveling compond as I have never seen it done that way.

Sponsored Links
Overboard with hard board [prevent boards showing thru]and refit skirting to remove large gaps.
Gripper rod is glued down [hot glue gun] where there is leveling compound or hard surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back