Socket to consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing one socket in my garage for a tumble dryer and connecting it to a separate fuse in my consumer unit. Do I need to loop it ie two lives,neutral and earth or can I just use the one cable like a spur

Sponsored Links
It just needs to be a radial, one feed cable. What rating fuse are you using? Why not just connect it to the ring main in your house? Is the socket RCD protected? It could reasonably be used to supply outdoor appliances, so it should be, unless you fit a 15A round pin socket and an FCU, or connect the dryer into the mains (via an FCU) directly.

Connect it as a radial.
Before energising, test continuity of CPC, measure value of R1 + R2 and enter this on your Electrical Installation Certificate. Test insulation resistance between all conductors.
Energise circuit and measure Earth Loop Impedance and trip time of RCD as adding additional sockets places a responsibility on you to provide RCD protection to sockets that can reasonably used for portable equipment outside equipotential zone.

Sponsored Links
Use a B16 MCB Breaker, feeding a length of 2.5.mm cable (check for Voltage Drop and Earth Loop Impedance etc), and onto a 13amp socket for the Appliance.
As said before the essential RCD must be tested for tripping time etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back