new socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how do i install a new socket from an existing socket?can i do that or is it dangerous?i want to install a new socket in my room but dont know where to start from?please help

Sponsored Links
sully872000 said:
how do i install a new socket from an existing socket?can i do that or is it dangerous?
depends how its done!

i want to install a new socket in my room but dont know where to start from?please help
find a socket which has 2 cables entering from behind. From this, run a length of 2.5mm² cable to the new socket position. If you are burying it in plaster, make sure it follows the right cable zones (horizontal and vertical from sockets and switches, and within 150mm of corners and ceilings).

EDIT: not meaning to insult you, but the fact that you ask if this is dangerous indicates that you dont really have a lot of knowledge of electrics and I suggest you consult an electrician. Maybe 1-2 hours labour and parts - £50 max (depends where you live though)

Crafty's suggestion is right, but only if you know that the socket you are taking the new one off of is part of a ring and not a spur off it - spurring off an unfused spur is not good practice.

I think his suggestion to get in an electrician will probably save you a lot of time and headaches!

SB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back