large orange pilot on myson apollo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've been running a myson apollo for a couple of weeks when suddenly it stoped. When I relight the pilot its about 3 inches log and orange / yellow! I though it could be a block in the pilot tube (but why would that happen suddenly?) also the pilot throttle control makes no difference to the pilot light at all. Could it be the gas valve itself ?

P.S. any jobs out there in the east yorks area for a qualified fitter (ACS boilers, fires etc).

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the pilot jet is in it, or has it been mullered with a pin? Is it chilling caused by flame impingement from the metal shroud? Pilots normally burn blue with a tint of yellow at the edges. Orange usually caused by dust rust and debris, and a temporary phenomenon, if you justr serviced boiler wait a while and see what flame picture is then. You should probably try a new pilot jet.

Where in east yorks? I'm Scarborough based. Not a job going here right now but you're welcome to make contact and see what the future holds.

Thanks for that, I'm based in Hull so if you need any help down here let us know. Sorted boiler problems - the loud bang was a leek in the pilot tube at the boiler allowing lots of gas to escape into the chamber without igniting (it;s lpg so settles at the bottom of chamber) - until you switched it on then Bang! The orange pilot light was just dirt from the heat exchanger blocking the pilot injector.

Sponsored Links
ACSbutUnemployed said:
Thanks for that, I'm based in Hull so if you need any help down here let us know. Sorted boiler problems - the loud bang was a leek in the pilot tube at the boiler allowing lots of gas to escape into the chamber without igniting (it;s lpg so settles at the bottom of chamber) - until you switched it on then Bang! The orange pilot light was just dirt from the heat exchanger blocking the pilot injector.

If it's LPG it will probably find its way out of the bottom of the combustion chamber aswell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back