A Ring Main Spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Could someone please advise me on the following;

I need to add additional sockets to my ring main, there is only one socket anywhere near the desired location of the new sockets. I actually need to run two double sockets and one single socket to accomodate my needs. I have been told that if I create a mini ring main from the existing sockets then this will suffice and be safe, certainly safer than running 3 (inline) spurs. Does this sound correct and workable?

Regards
Kevin.

Sponsored Links
it would be better if you were to break into the ring and make the new sockets a part of the origonal ring

but also as its for "your needs" you are not by any chance moving your pc to another loaction in your house are you? if so why not buy a "serge protected extension lead" and just plug that in.

I have one and it has saved my pcs from going bang in the storms we had a few monhs ago

Hi Breezer, Thanks for reply, no it's not for a PC it's to set up a Kitchenette in an annex for my mother, I have spent today trucking the cable, recessing the boxes into the wall etc etc and was going to connect it up tomorrow, but am having a few worries having read that I should only have one spur from each ring main socket.

What are the risks?

Kevin.

well if its for a kithenette load will be high so it must be on its own ring, not spurred from anywhere and also are you aware of part p (if not try a search)

Sponsored Links
Not sure I've explained this properly, will it really be that high a load?? I have a separate 30 amp feed for the cooker, the washing machine and fridge/ freezer will be plugged directly into the existing ring main double socket..the spur ring will carry a kettle/ toaster & 60 watt light...is this too much?

You can't create a 'mini ring' off a ring, it'll unbalence the load on the main ring and has the potential to overload one leg of it.

You've got a few solutions

- install a new ring for the kictchen area (best idea)
- install some additional sockets on the existing ring (not a bad idea)
- install a single unfused spur off the existing ring (all right if a single outlet is sufficent)
- install a fused spur with multiple outlets off your existing ring (not really advisable for a kitchen environment)

you said it was for a kitchenette, my thinking of a kitcentte is a small kitchen within a larger property as well as the existing kitchen

if this is the case then the whole kitchenette should be on its own ring.

lets say Kitchenette (a) and main kitchen (b)

a puts on w/m and kettle , b does tumble drier and toaster

wm will draw 13A to heat water

td will use almost 13A to dry clothes

1x wm & 1 td on 1 ring is 26A. ring only supplies 32A

by having both a and b on own ring each has 32A available

although it will not often happen it will happen, or if a is spured from house ring it reduces availability for other appliances.

Kitchens should always have their own ring

and also you must be aware opf part P, come the time to sell the house new owneres will want to see part p certificate

This ring is separate from my my residence ring, the only other areas on this ring are two bedrooms, based on your example would seem very unlikely for overload to occur as these rooms only have TV's?

Thanks for part p advise I am investigating, looks as though I may have to call in an electricial to connect up, but I could certainly do the work myself and just have them check it?

Morph123 said:
I have been told that if I create a mini ring main from the existing sockets then this will suffice and be safe, certainly safer than running 3 (inline) spurs. Does this sound correct and workable?
What exactly do you mean by "mini ring"?

Morph123 said:
Thanks for part p advise I am investigating, looks as though I may have to call in an electricial to connect up, but I could certainly do the work myself and just have them check it?
You need to read some more - that is almost certainly not going to work, unless you mean that you'll notify your LABC, pay their fee, and also engage an electrician that they are happy with to inspect & test, and for the total cost of that you could just have a registered electrician do the lot...

breezer said:
"serge protected extension lead"

noserge.JPG

Having spoken to an electricial this morning the answer was clear! Rather than have 4 wires going into the socket, leave two out and join them together thus having an extended ring main...easy, would have thought one of the experts on this site would have worked it out!

As for part p, the room used to be an annex, the annex was made part of the house 7 years ago, I am turning it back, how does the authority or anyone else for that matter know when this was completed, surely every house would need an electrical survey in order to make part p legislation enforcable.

Thanks for absolutely no help whatsoever.

Regards
Kevin.

Morph123 said:
Having spoken to an electricial this morning the answer was clear! Rather than have 4 wires going into the socket, leave two out and join them together thus having an extended ring main...easy, would have thought one of the experts on this site would have worked it out!

As for part p, the room used to be an annex, the annex was made part of the house 7 years ago, I am turning it back, how does the authority or anyone else for that matter know when this was completed, surely every house would need an electrical survey in order to make part p legislation enforcable.

Thanks for absolutely no help whatsoever.

Regards
Kevin.

THEY DID WORK IT OUT! READ THE REPLIES FFS

Adam_151 said:
install some additional sockets on the existing ring (not a bad idea)
breezer said:
it would be better if you were to break into the ring and make the new sockets a part of the origonal ring

And if you're using the new cable colour schemes, they will know the install was completed post Jan05! ;) oh well eh ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back