Electric Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want to install a electric heated towel rail into my bathroom, although I wish to use a timer in conjunction with the Immersion. Now I've noticed a host of programmable switches to enable me to do this, although the switches I have found accept a maximum load of 3Amps - I dont believe the Immersion will operate correctly like this.
Whats the best way to operate both services?

Sponsored Links
Use the timer to control contactors?

Use an immersion heater timer?

Are you aware of the requirements of the Building Regulations regarding this work?

Use the timer to control contactors? - Could these be the same as Relays or Solenoids?

Use an immersion heater timer? - I've got two but both at 3amps!

Are you aware of the requirements of the Building Regulations regarding this work? - I wanted a background of what needed to be done before I called the big boys in.

Sponsored Links
Using [quote]...[/quote] makes life easier.

whosthedaddy32 said:
Use the timer to control contactors? - Could these be the same as Relays or Solenoids?
Same idea as a relay. A solenoid is something that uses electromagnetism to move something, e.g. a door bolt, water valve...

Use an immersion heater timer? - I've got two but both at 3amps!
If they are immersion heater timers then they will not be rated at 3A, as immersion heaters typically draw around 13A. If your timers are rated at 3A then they are not immersion heater timers - they are probably central heating programmers.

Are you aware of the requirements of the Building Regulations regarding this work? - I wanted a background of what needed to be done before I called the big boys in.
What needs to be done is to use an appropriately rated timer, or decouple the load from the timer contacts by using a contactor.

But your big boy will know what to do..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back