Metal enclosure with 3rd amendment.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have not bought the book but am told for fire prevention consumer units now have to be metal in domestic premises.

This raises two questions:-
What about with TT supplies?
What when consumer unit is in the garage which itself is suppose to be fire resistant?

Sponsored Links
I would think a plastic bush for the entry would be ok, and routing the tails in a way where it's not possible for a fault to occour. That's how I've always done commercial TT installations.

As for garages, it's irrelevant. A fire in a plastic cu could set fire to the garage, the car, the fuel tank, the oxy-acetylene bottles etc.

They don't have to be metal - just 'non-combustible'.

However in reality they will be metal. BS7671 gives only one example which is metal.

Crabtree/Wylex and Hager both have new catalogues which contain 100% metal consumer units, no plastic any more.
http://www.electrium.co.uk/downloads.php
http://www.hager.co.uk/product-cata...onsumer-units/design-range-overview/50746.htm

MK have stated theirs will be all metal shortly.

Also note that many existing metal units won't comply, as they often have plastic front visors.

As for TT supplies - this object is offered by Wylex as a partial solution where cables enter the CU:

Sponsored Links
They don't have to be metal - just 'non-combustible'. However in reality they will be metal. BS7671 gives only one example which is metal.
Indeed - although in saying that ferrous metal is 'deemed to be non-combustible', that does not necessarily mean that other materials would not comply - although it seems to be silent about that!
Crabtree/Wylex and Hager both have new catalogues which contain 100% metal consumer units, no plastic any more. ... MK have stated theirs will be all metal shortly.
Interesting - I hadn't realised that - so maybe the manufacturers have not identified any suitable non-metallic 'non-combustible' materials. It's perhaps worth pointing out that 421.1.201(ii) does offer an alternative. A CU which is not made out of non-combustible material will remain compliant if it is enclosed in a non-combustible cabinet or enclosure.
As for TT supplies - this object is offered by Wylex as a partial solution where cables enter the CU:
Again, interesting - but that only partially addresses the issues with TT, doesn't it?

Kind Regards, John

Not sure if its true but overheard the CEF rep say there plastic CU's comply

Not sure if its true but overheard the CEF rep say there plastic CU's comply
As I said, I had really expected that most manufacturers would have found some suitable non-metal material which satisfied the 'non-combustible' requirement (although that's not so easy unless 'non-combustible' is defined! - maybe in the Standard??) - but, judging by what flameport said, that perhaps is not the case.

Kind Regards, John

From what you mention about your houses etc, i imagine your a tad older, with less or greyer hair

Only joking :) :)

From what you mention about your houses etc, i imagine your a tad older, with less or greyer hair Only joking :) :)
Yes, 'a tad older' (forget the house, since I frequently make reference to the electrical installations, and other things, in the 60s!), but plenty of hair (but, yes, grey - however, it's been like that for decades, so doesn't prove much about my age!).

Kind Regards, John

Hope its not to personal, but have you ever worked in the electrical trade john

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back