WHat are all the funny words for?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've all seen them on dodgy emails etc:

"turning reply as tying. light sugar quarter sense allow.
understand pleasure bad course supposedto.
work lot given different likely matter. justice quarter sandwich. truth went taken each satisfaction sale.
along disappoint taught promised.
room raised respect. fly certain letters thus necessary six, explain leader servants end everyone?
"
Has reading this run some stealth code and corrupted your computer?

Sponsored Links
The last one came with an email promoting cheap software. Presumably they wouldn't do anything openly destructive.

Viewing email, in M$ Outlook Express, using 'Read all messages as plain text', A Halifax banking scam looked like this :-
HaliBankSpam.jpg

Note the attachment which I believe would be the 'payload' GIF file, this remains unopened when reading as text.
The .GIF file opened shows this :-
bum.jpg

NB. The strange 'text' does not appear if viewing the mail in HTML form.
The address shown, does not I am sure, lead one to the bone fide Halifax web site.

:!:

Sponsored Links
I haven't seen 'Read all messages as plain text' before. Do you leave that on all the time, or just when viewing suspect emails?

EmOptions.jpg

I leave it on all the time and do not allow auto preview pane.
Can easily change to read as html when necessary..

Personal choice I guess.
:D

Had forgotten this .. Can inspect (iffy) emails !!
For example using M$ OE, at Inbox (any) folder.
Right click on target, unopened email.
Select 'Properties'
Click on 'Details' tab. In 'details' window click on 'Message Source'
Maximise the resultant window.
Read the mail, see headers etc.
;)

The random text at the end of the e-mail is to try and increase the e-mails chances of defeating content based spam filters - with this text, there is a high proportion of "non spam" text - which will in effect cancel out the spam message.

However, much of the time this text is in white. I've heard of anti spam packages now using this as a check (ie if it has a big block of background colour text then it is 99% likely to be spam)...so in trying to be intelligent, many spammers have made it easier to block them.

Dan

a nasty one i get quite often is one from ebay asking about p&p or query on an item that im selling, the email looks like its from ebay but it isnt!

As for anti spam...a few companies (notably aol) when you email them they do a reverse lookup on your domain to make sure it matches whats out on the dns server, if it isnt they reject it!

ie if your domain was mydomainname.com with an ip address of 123.123.123.123 and if joe blogs spoofed or sent an email from [email protected] from his pc (which wouldnt have the ip address 0f 123.123.123.123 ) they it would be rejected by aol.

the company i work for had to set up a reverse lookup to our ip address, so aol could trace back emails that where actually coming from us.... all because we couldnt send emails to people who had a aol a/c.... in the end we had to be removed from their black list and added to their white list in order to send emails out...

They are online experpts from the lateset Perjury Archer novel, alledgedly. "Lord of the lags"

well I can't see it from here.

Did you click on the link?

well that's odd. I can read the forum but not the IP address. And one of the people in the forum seems to have put up a spoof address that redirects to his family album.

Sponsored Links
Back