Potterton Oil boiler clang

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have replaced my old oil boiler with a Potterton Statesman 50/70L oil fired boiler and have noticed that ever since installation the new boiler starts up with an annoying metallic clang. I have found out that this is caused by the lower baffle plate jumping within its location during ignition. I was wondering if anyone else has come across this problem and if so is there a fix that will solve it.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Bend it so it's a tighter fit? But don't listen to me.

yes. it just needs a weight on it. i think last time i used a 2" steel cap off a tank that i had spare in van. i tried stones various :cry: but found that its quite a force. got p£ssed off undoing /doing up access plate :cry: so went for large lump of metal. :rolleyes:

Talk to Potterton, they may well have a fix for it.

Sponsored Links
wilhelm said:
yes. it just needs a weight on it. i think last time i used a 2" steel cap off a tank that i had spare in van. i tried stones various :cry: but found that its quite a force. got p£ssed off undoing /doing up access plate :cry: so went for large lump of metal. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply. I have tried putting a piece of metal on the baffle plate about 8 oz weight but the baffle plate still jumps during ignition. What weight did you have to use to prevent this problem?

Many thanks

go higher go higher!

this was a lump of iron 2" diameter. i suppose the ideal thing would be one of those 1lb weights shops used to use many years ago.

you could also check the nozzle size is correct...cos it might be pumpin' in too much oil at start and hence the explosion..... :?:

are you sure its the bottom plate?? if the other plates have the triangular metal corner bits.this could be the prob. as you say its metallic, in this instance use wick to pack it secure. a pain in the ar £e .... ish

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I jammed the bottom plate in place with a couple of old kitchen knive to stop it jumping so am certain this is the problem. The boiler has the correct nozzle and pump pressure but will try out your idea of packing the baffle within its housing with wick.
Many thanks

wilhelm said:
go higher go higher!

this was a lump of iron 2" diameter. i suppose the ideal thing would be one of those 1lb weights shops used to use many years ago.

you could also check the nozzle size is correct...cos it might be pumpin' in too much oil at start and hence the explosion..... :?:

are you sure its the bottom plate?? if the other plates have the triangular metal corner bits.this could be the prob. as you say its metallic, in this instance use wick to pack it secure. a pain in the ar £e .... ish

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back