Replace main cable advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

At my house I just moved in, with a garage about 15 metres away.

Info:..
In the garage, there is sockets and lights. All cables is in round trunking. Lights and power all goes to two way fuse board with MCB each, no Rcd.

At the moment there is no power. On finding why, i found the cut cable inside waste pipe attached to house side, reason unknown.

Is it possible to replace main cable between house wall and garage wall which has the same waste pipe attached to garage wall? With new 2.5mm or....?

Also rather than wiring it into a ring final,I will be putting in 2.5mm cable to run from house fuse board to a fuse spur where the main cable come through wall. It will be about 12m long, will it be okay?

I will dig a few holes to find out if the waste pipe does goes all the way.

I will be reducing to a double socket and a light as I don't need much.

Many thanks for your help.

Daniel.

Sponsored Links
Hi, i would replace with it with 2.5mm SWA and install seperate rcbos in the garage.

Regards,

DS

Also rather than wiring it into a ring final,I will be putting in 2.5mm cable to run from house fuse board to a fuse spur where the main cable come through wall. It will be about 12m long, will it be okay?
Do I take it that you understand that by taking that approach you will thereby be creating a 'new circuit' which means that the work would become 'notifiable', thereby invoking hassle and cost? 'Extending' an existing ring final is not notifiable.

Kind Regards,

It seems to me that there is an existing circuit but the cable needs replacing, so the work would not be notifiable.

Sponsored Links
It seems to me that there is an existing circuit but the cable needs replacing, so the work would not be notifiable.
We're obviously interpreting the OP differently. I took ....
Also rather than wiring it into a ring final,I will be putting in 2.5mm cable to run from house fuse board to a fuse spur where the main cable come through wall.
... to mean that the current (cut) wire came from some different place (maybe a ring final?) but that it was the OP's intention to re-wire it as a 'new circuit' all the way back to the CU (I imagine with it's own new fuse/MCB). If he meant that he is going to spur it off an existing circuit at the CU, then I would agree with you - but that would seem a fairly odd/unlikely thing to be doing - unless, I suppose, deliberately designed 'to get around the notification rules'!!

Kind Regards, John.

I agree his plan is not clear, but he did say he was going to replace the cable which has been cut.

I agree his plan is not clear, but he did say he was going to replace the cable which has been cut.
Indeed, but if that cable were, before it was cut, part of some existing circuit, and if (as I thought) the proposal were to 'replace' it with cable going all the way back to it's own new OPD in the CU, that surely would constitute a 'new circuit', by almost any definition, wouldn't it?

However, I do accept that I may have misinterpreted the intention/proposal.

Kind Regards, John

Depends where the original circuit originated doesn't it?
Of course. As I said, if the OP intends to take the new cable all the way back to the OPD in the CU where its original circuit originated (or, indeed, to connect it to the origina of any other existing circuit), then I would agree that it's not a 'new circuit' - but, as I said, the only reason I could think of doing that would be to 'get around the notification rules'. Maybe that's what's going on!

Kind Regards, John

Depends where the original circuit originated doesn't it?
Of course. As I said, if the OP intends to take the new cable all the way back to the OPD in the CU where its original circuit originated (or, indeed, to connect it to the origina of any other existing circuit), then I would agree that it's not a 'new circuit' - but, as I said, the only reason I could think of doing that would be to 'get around the notification rules'. Maybe that's what's going on!

Kind Regards, John
Why? the cut cable could origionate from thr cu ? Which would be an existing circuit would it not?

Regards,

DS

DS

Why? the cut cable could origionate from thr cu ? Which would be an existing circuit would it not?
We're all speculating until the OP clarifies, but I suppose that is possible. However, as I keep saying, since he said that he wanted to take the cable all the way back to the CU "rather than wiring it into a ring final" implied to me (perhaps incorrectly) that it had originally come from somewhere other than the CU.

However, we need to be patient and await clarification.

Kind Regards, John

Morning all.

Where the cut cable is, there is 2.5mm cable inside waste pipe and been cut off at house side. There is trace of old chase and screw hole which look like a fuse spur used to be there, about a metre from a double socket.

I thought it would be best to run new cable from house's CU to a fuse spur or a connector box where the swa cable can be connect to, that way if there is something wrong in the garage or underground cable, it will trip on it own RCBO at the CU rather than tripping sockets circuit for whole house.

Daniel.

that way if there is something wrong in the garage or underground cable, it will trip on it own RCBO at the CU rather than tripping sockets circuit for whole house.
Very sensible, and has the advantage of being able to turn off power to the shed when not needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back