Edited cylinder question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm dealing with a cylinder where one of the indirect threads won't accept a union inside, warped or something. If it will go on, is it ok to fit an iron onto the thread and go from there?

Sponsored Links
Never really taken much notice- just connect to them! I've always assumed that the threaded bit is made on to the end of the coil. Today I've had to think about it due to problems re-fitting a cylinder. One of the indirects won't take a (new) fitting properly, ie only a couple of mm will insert. Tried different fittings but same result with all. Tried cleaning it all up and even tried filing a fitting down a bit. Then had a look at the old one and saw that it had had the same problem and the joint had been made with some kind of compound. My conclusion is that the threaded bit was bent from when first fitted. Now having gone out and bought a new cylinder ready to fit, I suddenly wonderered if it was just the inside thats wrong and that maybe the actual thread is ok. In which case, if it threads ok, is putting a female iron on there acceptable?

always used to put a F/iron onto the stubs..with hemp+ bosswhite ;) Pfte whats that :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Yes it's ok to use on indirect side
, for 22mm copper I use the unions but for 28mm I use 1" female iron to 28mm with hemp and boss white.

Dead right...but I`d like just one penny for every installation in this country in use now with boss+ hemp on the potable water side :LOL: ie. done before the regs changed :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back