No hot water - Worcester 24CDi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Read up the old posts on the above but couldn't find any to solve my dilemma. I have the above boiler and heating is OK, but when the heating is off the boiler doesn't kick in to heat the water. We're managing by having the heating on when we want hot water which sort of works (although not that well) but obviously want to fix it.
The water pressure seems OK, although the hot isn't as high as the cold (presumably since it goes through the boiler)

I had a local engineer round today who didn't have the parts but was "90% sure it is the diverter valve" He had manually activated the microswitch which started the boiler OK. He didn't think the diverter valve was moving enough to activate the microswitch.

He recommended getting Worcester round for £185 which covers labour, VAT and up to 3 parts. Looking online the diverter valve is around £100 so that could well be the best thing to do. However I've read postings about only the diaphragm being faulty in which case £185 sounds expensive.

Any advice on whether it's more likely to be the diaphragm or whole diverter valve or how I should proceed? Cheers.

Sponsored Links
We would repair the existing valve for £106 unless its the model with the valve at the back in which case we would suddenly become busy!

Tony

Thanks for your prompt reply!
According the heating engineer it the valve is at the back (or at least there's plenty of bits that have to come off to get to it).

Maybe the Worcester option is the best bet?

I can understand that the engineer who came to you may not want to undertake such a job, it really is not that easy !!!

I was slightly joking above but we would have to charge about £146 as none of my engineers would be likely to do it within a reasonable time.

Myself, I would have to allow 2.5 hours and even that could over run.

Tony

Sponsored Links
i can generally do a diaphragm kit on a 24cdi in around about 40 minutes, but then i do on average about 2 or 3 a week. its not an eay job for a first timer and can get ackward.

Thanks for your help guys. I'm going to go for the easiest route of getting Worcester round next week.

It's getting really annoying having luke warm water from time to time!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back