stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 3inch square newel posts top and bottom of my stairs with two planks joining them. I want to replace them with a spindle staircase How would I fix the new newel posts. :?:

Sponsored Links
Have a look at www.richardburbidge.co.uk. (I think that is the right website address) They do a bracket fix system for replacing that style staircase with spindles. There is a modular newel post kit. You saw of the top of the existing newel, drill a hole in the bottom bit and insert a new top half. You sand down the top edge of the bottom half to match the new top. Then you connect a new base and top rail between your two newel posts - the base rail is screwed down onto the existing string and the top rail fits to the new top half of the newels with a bracket. (Their leaflet and video explains this much better!) Looks great. We replaced our stair rail this weekend. Total cost about £200. We ordered our parts online from Stairpartsonline - free next day delivery, but you can get them in most diy stores.

Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back