Vaillant Turbomax problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I wonder if somebody can help me. I have a vaillant Turbomax boiler which is about 4 years old. It worked perfectly for 3 years but now causing problems.

It tends to switch off every now and then and in the info display reads a code of \\\"s33\\\" - which stands for - \\\"check flu/air system\\\". The flu looks fine (it goes through the ceiling into through the roof. the boiler is located in the airing cupboard between the two upstairs bedrooms(where the old water tank was located) in a standard 1930\\\'s bay fronted semi.

I recently asked a plumber to come and have a look, he said that the boiler needed servicing - which he did for me at a cost of £50. He said to keep the door of the airing cupboard open, as if it is closed the boiler will think that the temperature is too hot and will not switch on - I\\\'m not sure if i believe that.

Anyway, the boiler seemed to work fine for 1 month after the service, but now the problem has returned. I have been keeping the door of the airing cupboard wide open, but it still cuts off and diplays the \\\"S33\\\" code.

Does anyone know what could be wrong?

P.S. This seems to happen more on days that are very cold, also, it tends to switch on for a while on its own then goes off again. I have already tried to re-set it - but this doesn\\\'t cure the problem.

Sponsored Links
Probably an Air Pressure Switch fault, which could well be temperature dependent. Apparently very common fault on these boilers. But get a competent engineer next time.

Thanks for that Chrishut.

Is this something that I'll need an engineer to fix (if so how much is it likely to cost??) or is it relatively simple, that I might be able to do?

Wonder if he cleaned the fan....

Callout + change the pressure switch likely to be about £100, and no you shouldn't do it.

Leave the cupboard door open? Complete Sh1te. It might affect a faulty boiler, just, but so might having the curtains shut to keep the sun off....

"4.6 Cupboard or compartment ventilation
The boilers are very high efficiency appliances. As a
consequence the heat loss from the appliance casing
during operation is very low. For cupboard or
compartment installations it is therefore not necessary
to provide any high or low level permanent air vents for
cooling purposes."

Sponsored Links
If you get a plumber then you will get a plumber !!!

Much better if you want a resolution to the problem is to get a CORGI registered boiler engineer.

Better still if you get someone who will solve the problem is to get someone who is confident of his abilities and will give a no fix-no fee charging policy.

Tony

Hi Same boiler, same problem! Ok. so Vaillant replaced the air pressure switch and the small plastic tubes by the fan. However when it gets cold the boiler continues to come up with F33 fault. engineer said somthing about a modification. So with a plumber friend we have found that if you blow down the clear tube by the fan it clears the condensation that occurs in the pipe in cold weather and the fan will start up again. I have just e-mailed Vaillant to see if there is a mod. as the local engineer is evasive.

Moibr said:
Hi I wonder if somebody can help me. I have a vaillant Turbomax boiler which is about 4 years old. It worked perfectly for 3 years but now causing problems.

It tends to switch off every now and then and in the info display reads a code of \\\"s33\\\" - which stands for - \\\"check flu/air system\\\". The flu looks fine (it goes through the ceiling into through the roof. the boiler is located in the airing cupboard between the two upstairs bedrooms(where the old water tank was located) in a standard 1930\\\'s bay fronted semi.

I recently asked a plumber to come and have a look, he said that the boiler needed servicing - which he did for me at a cost of £50. He said to keep the door of the airing cupboard open, as if it is closed the boiler will think that the temperature is too hot and will not switch on - I\\\'m not sure if i believe that.

Anyway, the boiler seemed to work fine for 1 month after the service, but now the problem has returned. I have been keeping the door of the airing cupboard wide open, but it still cuts off and diplays the \\\"S33\\\" code.

Does anyone know what could be wrong?

P.S. This seems to happen more on days that are very cold, also, it tends to switch on for a while on its own then goes off again. I have already tried to re-set it - but this doesn\\\'t cure the problem.

deisel1 wrote:

which he did for me at a cost of £50. He said to keep the door of the airing cupboard open, as if it is closed the boiler will think that the temperature is too hot and will not switch on - I\\\'m not sure if i believe that.

I used to be shocked at some of the things that so called engineers would tell customers, but now i find it quite amusing.

I still can't decide if the are just plain thick or think the customers are, or do they actually believe the crap they are spouting :rolleyes:

A SMALL amount of condensation in one of the sense tubes between fan and airswitch should make no difference. But if there's enough to form a drop that fills the tube, the airswitch won't get enough vacuum (or pressure - can't remember which) to operate it.

Key question is why condensation is forming in the tube in the first place.....

Hi,

I have had the same problem and at least five visits by several Vaillant engineers could not solve it. However, I have found a quick cure: take off the plastic tube from the air pressure switch (make sure you remember which of the two studs it was on) and gently blow into it. This will clear any condensation and allow the boiler to work again.

This seems to be a recurring problem which could probably be solved by a thicker tube or by some insulation around it to prevent condensation. But at least now I do not have to wait days for an engineer to call.

Fitted well over 200 vaillant part from a couple of silly things never had any problems., one of the best boilers around imo.

i have an 837 in my own house , plus have installed one in my parents and brothers house, its the one of the best combi's on the market.

like all things it comes down to who has installed the boiler, i allways power flush and add a filter {tf1}
i dont get any bonus or work for vaillant , i install all makes of boilers depending on the customers budget.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back