Strange dripping noise comming from the loft!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI all,
I have recently moved into a new house and lately it has been very cold.
I turn on the central heating and it is working ok, the only problem is that I can hear a dripping noise comming from the loft once the central heating is working.
Now on inspecting the loft I see no signs off leaking, can anyone tell me where this noise is comming from and how I can solve this problem as it is driving me mad when I try to sleep.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you have hot water heat?

If so, it might not be dripping at all. It might be a pipe rubbing against a wood stud or floor board. As iron pipes in a heating system heat up, they expand a bit, and the resulting movement is very much like you get with earthquakes; a slippage, then total quiet as the tension builds up again as the pipe continues to expand, and then another slippage, then total quiet again, and this repeats itself until the pipe is fully warm and expanded.

And, those points where the pipe slips and rubs against wood can sound very much like a large drop of water hitting a floor.

If this "dripping" noise only lasts for a minute or so and then stops for a few hours until you hear it again, and every time you hear it it sounds much the same, it's probably a rubbing heating pipe.

Nestor_Kelebay said:
Do you have hot water heat?

If so, it might not be dripping at all. It might be a pipe rubbing against a wood stud or floor board. As iron pipes in a heating system heat up, they expand a bit, and the resulting movement is very much like you get with earthquakes; a slippage, then total quiet as the tension builds up again as the pipe continues to expand, and then another slippage, then total quiet again, and this repeats itself until the pipe is fully warm and expanded.

And, those points where the pipe slips and rubs against wood can sound very much like a large drop of water hitting a floor.

If this "dripping" noise only lasts for a minute or so and then stops for a few hours until you hear it again, and every time you hear it it sounds much the same, it's probably a rubbing heating pipe.

Anyone understand any of this?

Hot water heat?
Iron pipes
Slippage?

In a loft?????

Sponsored Links
thank you for your replies
Yes I do have hot water and heating. it is just that there are these noise's comming from the loft. As much as I can see I do not see any dampness inside the loft, the only wet signs are that around the pipes that go into the tank located in the loft, but it is only a few drops and I don't think the dripping noisse is coming from there.
thanks

if you think its a dripping noise from the loft....when you hear it (before ur in the loft) go and have a hunt.
help us to help you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back