Water doesn\\\'t stay hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've a Potterton Puma combination boiler which fires up okay when the hot tap is turned on, but fails to stay hot for very long. After 20 secs or so the water turns cold and then back to hot after another 20 secs. Makes a shower of any length rather hard work.

I'd be really grateful for any advice and also an estimate for any work required.

Huge thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
difficult one to diagnose mate

whats the water pressure at the tap like???

Cheers for your reply.

The boiler dial says the pressure's around 1.5 bar. The tap flow isn't too bad - although somethimes it comes out in 3 streams for some reason.

Faulty water temp sensor?

Do you live in a particularly hard water area?

Sponsored Links
Yup. Live in East London, so the water is pretty hard.

I seem to recall that a plumber once said there was some kind of a diaphragm that controls the flow(?) and may need replacing. Forgive my ignorance if this makes no sense...

Hello There,

Does the hot water only do this when the heating is on, because the water in the boiler gets residual heat from the heating circuit and therefore comes out hot then goes cold as "new" water enters the boiler then warms up as normal. Ive only just had a combi fitted and it took me a while to work this out, although im not bothered as it gives me enough hot water for a wash. :LOL:

I hope this helps you.

Joseph

does the water stay hot if you are, say, filling the bath or otherwise drawing off a lot of hot water and be a lot worse if you are just using the shower?

Chances are that the heat exchanger is sludged up inside the boiler. You need to get this checked out (as I did) before assuming anything else.

1. When you open a hot tap with the CH off, does the boiler fire?

2. If not, does the flow switch LED (red) light up on the PCB?

3. If the boiler does fire, does it stay alight while the water goes cold?

4. When the water goes hot again, how hot is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back