height of sockets

Sponsored Links
no the is no height requirements in a kitchen or garages

I was told once by a electrician the minimum height for ring main sockets was 14" above floor level incase of flood.Excuuuuse mmmeeeeeeeee, how do we know the height of the flood !!!! Last year I was flooded out up to approx 24" of water !!!!!

Anyway,wouldn't it be better if the wall sockets was the right height so we don't have to bend over low etc or is it because it would be a eyesore being higher up???

Sponsored Links
My parents house is not on a flood plain, it is on a hill. If the polar ice-caps melted it would still be above water. I'd always assumed that the height regulation was to do with ease of use. It certainly can't be for safety, as you're far more likely to trip over a wire that comes out of the wall higher up than almost at floor level.

Personally I think that sockets 14" off the floor look really ugly.

When I'm older I expect I'll think that sockets at waist height are a godsend.

Put them watever height you want to, just don't put them on the face of the skirting board, 1cm above the floor, so that the leads coming out of the plug-tops have to bend immediately at 90 degrees. Sounds daft, but you'd be surprised.

I have always tended to put sockets so that the bottom of the socket plate is 2-3 inches above the top of the skirting. Dunno why, but I've always thought that is the most unobtrusive height. In my own house they were put in 2 feet up from the floor - it looks silly to me.

By the way, if you have surface cables running up the surface of the skirting board to get to the sockets above, make sure they are protected

paulfromswindon said:
I have always tended to put sockets so that the bottom of the socket plate is 2-3 inches above the top of the skirting. Dunno why,

Must be a bad habit then and get used to what we see :!:

Could be a safety issue,if my wife is hoovering (not me) from lounge across the hall to the other side of the room and you know how it is,keep hoovering until the lead stop you then we either then got to practise limbo dancing or chop our head off in the hall :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back