Heating won\\\'t refill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I\\\'ve been trying to refill my sister\\\'s central heating. Everytime a radiator is drained, the water is lost from the system.

Checked the header tank and it was dry, so fixed that, but still the system is not refilling from the tank.

I disconnected a radiator and drained down the water from the system (keeping the radiator valves closed to save the water that was still in them from being lost too) and the header tank drained.

I replaced the radiator which only filled once I opened up an upstairs radiator. The system is now filled at ground floor level, but all the upstairs radiators are full of air (probably the top 3/4s).

I\\\'ve checked the bleed valve in the airing cupboard and there\\\'s no air coming out of that and I made sure the motorised valve was open.

Any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
If you do a search on "blocked cold feed" you'll find similar tales of woe..

Paddy C said:
...I disconnected a radiator and drained down the water from the system (keeping the radiator valves closed to save the water that was still in them from being lost too) and the header tank drained.

So the cold feed is not blocked, try closing the flow valve to each upstairs rad and bleeding the air out (water should come through the return end). This may dislodge air from the return pipework and cure your problem......but.....if the pump's on the return do this without the pump being on.

Sponsored Links
Not at all sure that your hot water heating systems are the same as ours, but...

A hot water boiler operates at a much lower pressure than the potable water supply pipes to your faucets...

...and that means there has to be a pressure reducing valve on the cold water feed line to the heating system to ensure that the heating system doesn't get up to the water supply pressure and crack your boiler.

... and over here, those pressure reducing valves will have a sediment screen inside them that prevents any sand or rust or what not from getting into your heating system with the incoming cold water.

... and those screens will often get clogged, preventing the cold water from getting into the heating system. (This is in fact a commonly overlooked problem over here because lots of homeowners don't realize there's a fine filtration screen inside that pressure reducing valve, and end up monkeying with the pressure setting on the valve before realizing the real problem is a clogged screen, and then spend days trying to get the pressure setting back to where it should be.)

But, I'm not sure if our heating systems or pressure reducing valves are similar to the kind you have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back