pressure prob i think???help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just installed a triton aquatronic 3+ 9.5kw shower into our bathroom,its connected straight to the mains when the shower settings are turned down to cold the pressure is fine but when i turn the temp up the pressure goes and just trickles out!! is this because there is not enough pressure frm the cold water feed(mains).just to let u know i live in a ground floor flat not a house some one pls help

Sponsored Links
Very strange. Firstly let me explain how an electric shower works.
Cold water from the mains comes in and it is heated via an element. similar principle to a kettle if you like. Now, obvioulsy when there is a demand for cold water the pressure is good as the shower is not having to heat the water up. And when the demand is for hot water the shower is put through its paces.
Now, the problem you are encountering i would say would be common place with a 7.5Kw shower or and 8Kw shower but 9.5Kw showers usually have a good flow rate.
There are a few things that could cause this problem.
1- Mains water was isolated at stop cock and hasn't been fully re-opened.
2- You may have assumed it is mains you have tapped onto but if it is tank fed cold water then this would explain the problem immediately.
3- what power is there at the shower if it is 230 V the performance of the shower may only sort of be around 8Kw opposed to 9.5 at 240.
4- it could be a faulty element.
My advice to you is check the shower is installed correctly and if it is call the manufacturers as they cover all products for a year and get them to come have a look.
Best of luck!

Measure the flow at showering temperature. You can only expect about 4 litres/minute.

Prof.plumb said:
3- what power is there at the shower if it is 230 V the performance of the shower may only sort of be around 8Kw opposed to 9.5 at 240.
Really? You've calculated that have you? According to my rudimentary arithmetic, 9.5kW would draw 39.6 Amps at 240V and 37.9 Amps at 230V - the latter equates to 8.7kW, not "sort of around 8kW".

Prof.plumb said:
My advice to you is check the shower is installed correctly and if it is call the manufacturers as they cover all products for a year and get them to come have a look.
Best of luck!
Best of luck indeed - roughly how many manufacturers have you witnessed being successfully persuaded to "come and have a look" at a customer's installation? Just roughly mind - is it more than 0? More than 1? More than 2?

Sponsored Links
yup - electric shower flow rates are not very good - esp in winter as the incoming water is at its coldest.

What you think is a trickle may be the best the shower can do. Maybe you need a finer showerhead to create a bit of a spray.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back